History of the Letchworth Art Society
     
Letchworth Art Society was founded in 1945 by Mr. Ron Smith, Colin Crocker and Agnes and Matthew Haggo. In 1948 they were invloved in the provision of murals for the lounge, restaurant and stairway of Letchworth Peoples House. A year or so later they were asked to submit designs to be used in The Plume of Feathers pub in Ickleford.
The original expressed policy included the provision of facilities for practical work in the Arts, the encouragement of free expression, the arrangement of lectures on the art appreciation and the formation of discussion groups, young artists were to be encouraged, and interest in current exhibitions fostered.
Press report over the years show William Ratcliffe as an active exhibiting member.Others include Elsie Lamb, Phyllis Morgans, Sylvia Malloy, all four members of the Haggo family and Peter Gilman who was a member of The Wapping Group
In 1948 the Museum Gallery was no longer available for meetings and a studio was rented in Croft Lane. At this time Mr. Mark Harvey was tutor to the Society, and it was in that year we became affiliated to the Settlement for Adult Education. A junior group was organised and continued until 1955.
During the 1970’s a very successful open air exhibition was established in the Broadway where the local council erected posts and wires for our displays.